Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Here we go....




So this week I continued to work on my new allelopathy test project but with few changes than what I explained last week. And that was about putting some crumbled leaves inside the petri dishes with seeds but Matt decided that I don’t need to do that anymore.

I had my petri dishes ready since last week and I also had the Sycamore, Sun flower and Orange tree’s leaves ready and completely dried out for this week experiment. On Monday I found out that the last minute leaf collecting saved me a lot of time because the leaves dried out naturally in the lab during the weekend.

Oak branches





Oak and Mesquite leaves
Anyway, last week due to my short time in the last day I couldn’t make it to collect the Oak and Mesquite leaves, so I took another journey around the campus to collect the leaves. The Oak leaves are small and it’s kind of hard to collect the full basket, specially the basket that I have because it has a big holes on it and the leaves kept falling. But this time I was lucky and one of the maintenance guys saw me and cut some of the branches for me, he made my job much easier. Since I needed the leaves to be dry, I let them to dry for a day but it didn’t work well, so with Matt idea I ended up with spread them on separate trays and put them in the oven for one more day to make them dry faster and save me some time. 


Oak and Mesquite leaves after one day in oven


Those two days that I was waiting for the Oak and Mesquite leaves to get dry, I started the experiment with my other leaves. Grinding the leaves was the first step and I start doing it with mortar & pestle, which wasn’t that easy and would take a long time, since technology is always helpful instead of mortar & pestle I used blender to grind the leaves and I got pretty good powder of each one.
Blender was a good idea but too messy!


 Then I made a 2% solution for each sample, by weighing 20.0 gr of the sample (leaves powder) and adding 200 mL of DI water to it, I closed the lead with parafilm and let them to stay like that for a day. And finally the day after making the solution, I did water the petri dishes with 5 mL pipet. 
2% solution of each treatment




After I got done with watering and using the solution, I made a 50% solution with the remaining solution and I added another 100mL to it. And I set up another set of petri dishes next to the other one in order to test the 50% solution on germination of the seeds and comparing the both result together. So this week I was able to finish all the plates and watering them and also fold all of them with parafilm to prevent the evaporation. And now I have to patiently wait for a week or more to see the result and start counting the seeds again.


50% solution of each treatment



petri dishes water with 2% solution
Petri dishes water with 50% solution

No comments:

Post a Comment