Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Finally germinated!


This week I didn't do a lot but like I said last week, I kept continue on the allelopathy test. So mostly what I did this week, was counting the seeds, it sounds pretty easy and funny but it was such a pain to make them separate from each other and count them and it took a long time from me I can say pretty much the whole week, because I should count them a week after creating them and I needed to wait for some seed. Maybe you ask yourself that why should I doing that and spending that much time on them, but the seed counting it’s the last step which gives us a clear answer depends to the seeds germination. So what I did was counting the germinated seeds in each petri dish individually, which was 5 petri dishes of each seeds for every treatment. And then I started to do some calculation, getting the mean of petri dishes for each treatment and graphing the average of each treatment also I calculated the standard deviation to graph a better error bar. According to the result from the table and the graph I determined that chard has the best germination and all the chard seeds germinated in all treatments except in one dish of sycamore treatment. You can see better in the chard germination graph.


Radish and lettuce seeds germination had almost the same average of germination and the speed of germination. But carrot had the lowest average number of germination compare to the other seeds. You also can see all of them in the graphs.








Unfortunately according to these results there was no inhibitor, which I don’t know that I should say it’s bad or good but I was more hoping to find the inhibitor in the garden, and I got germination in all of the petri dishes just with a different number in germination which makes sense. Also I would like to mention that during the seeds counting I observed something different about the Orange tree compare to the other trees (Sycamore, Sun flower and Oak), which was the leaf color. So I got the germination on all the petri dishes that treated with Orange leaf extract like the others, but their leaves was more yellowish than the other petri dishes with other treatments. And it’s more clear and obvious in the picture below.
I’m not 100% sure but since we couldn’t get the answer that we’re looking for from this experiment, probably I’m going to start another way to test them.

No comments:

Post a Comment