Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

new projectssssss


Well, so I received an email from Estrella Mountain Community College on Monday, and I got accepted for the EMCC student conference, which is on May 2nd. So I’m really excited for it, and I’m pretty sure that it’s going to be a great experience for me, but on the other hand I’m kind of worry about it because less than a month left to the finals and there are lots of projects and papers to write for the end of semester, and making poster and the conference on top of them makes me more worry. Definitely it’s not a good feeling when I’m thinking about it, but let’s stay positive and say I can survive.
Now I stop complaining and I’m going to talk about my project, or I better say my projects because I will start two new exciting projects next to the old one, which are still related to my allelopathy project and that makes them even more interesting for me. Since the third week of spring semester, almost all these times, I was testing the allelopathy effect on the Phoenix College garden, with different methods, and so far I got some good results. So what I’m going to do in my new projects is, first to grow the bacteria which exist on the soil under the canopy of each plants (Sycamore, Citrus, Oak, Sunflower, and Mesquite), and the second sample from outside the canopy from the similar type of soil and compare them with each other. And, next is identifying the bacteria. I will explain more about them next week, when I’m going to do the actual experiments. Because this week I just got prepare for it and collected the second sample, which was the soil from outside the canopy and let them to get dry during the weekend.
second sample

Back to my old allelopathy project, I supposed to wait for a week and count the germinated seeds. So on Tuesday I opened the wraps and counted all the germinated seed. Everything was going well until I got to the last five petri dishes of the control soil include the chard seeds, and unfortunately three of them had mold all over the dishes and that was killed all the seeds. It was unusual because I never had mold on the whole dish, but it happens. And that made me to redo the test for those three petri dishes with control soil and chard.

My favorite shot of the radish roots

Sycamore soil

Citrus soil


No comments:

Post a Comment