Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Dragonflies.....



So as I mentioned before, I just started the new method for the allelopathy test last week, which carry out with the soil from under the canopy of each plants (Sycamore, Sun flower, Orange, Oak and Mesquite). Last week I set up 120 petri dishes and filled up all the petri dishes with 30 mL soil of each plant. 
So I started my week with counting the seeds and placed them in the petri dishes that are contain soil, like before each dish should have 25 seeds and I dispersed them randomly in the dishes. Then it was the time to water them. Since we were not sure how much water I need to use for each petri dish, a week before Matt tested couple dishes with different amount of water to find out the perfect and enough amount and he ended up with 10 mL water. After he agreed on the amount of water I kept continue working on my project by watering the petri dishes, while I was water them I found out, that for some of them the 10 mL water wasn’t enough because that amount of water couldn't cover the whole dish and I could see that still some part of the soil was completely dry. I discuss my observation with Matt and he checked them as well. We both knew that the water will spread out in the soil later. But just to be sure about them he suggested me to water the rest of the petri dishes with 12 mL instead of 10 mL, and I can say that it worked perfectly for the rest of them, hopefully the ones that I did at the beginning with 10 mL will be fine, and I’m curious to see if there’s any difference between those and 12 mL dishes. Finally, after I got done with watering, I foiled all of them with parafilm to prevent water evaporation. Now again all I can do is waiting for a week to see the result and counting the seeds that germinated.
petri dishes all set for germination

it seems I'm getting some germination :) 

But guess what!? I still had my results for 50% solution since last week to graph and I was working on them as well, so now that I’m done with it I was thinking to share the results and graphs with you.

Radish germination


Lettuce germination


Chard germination


Carrot germination

Also today in my Biology class, Mr. Schample showed us some amazing pictures of dragonflies, I really like them, so I tried to find them in nytimes, and it seems it not just pictures and there’s an article about dragonflies as well, article “Nature’s Drone, Pretty and Deadly”, which was really interesting for me as well. I didn't want you to miss these amazing pictures and article so I attached the link. (I need to mention that picture 5 is my favorite).
 I hope you all enjoy, please don’t miss it!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment