Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Tryptic Soy Agar (TSA)




I needed to make a media for my bioluminescent bacteria to grow. The best media for growing it, is Tryptic Soy Agar (TSA).

Tryptic Soy Agar (TSA) is a general purpose medium that contains enough nutrients for a wide variety of microorganisms to grow.


First, I weighed two 20 grams of TSA with scalar. Then, I measured two 500 mL of distilled water with the graduated cylinder and poured 500 mL of distilled water from the graduated cylinder into the Erlenmeyer flask. I added magnetic stir bar to the flasks and placed flasks on the hot stir plates. At the same time, I pour 20 grams TSA into each flask and turned on the stir plate selection for mixing Agar and heat selection for boiling solution. I continued heating and string for dissolving Agar. It took approximately 15 minutes to all Agar was dissolved.
I covered each flask with a piece of foil and cut off two strips of autoclave tape and place the tape around flasks neck. The tape should hold the foil and flask together.
I wore the gloves and placed my flasks into the metal autoclave plate. Then, I put the flasks in the chamber and close the autoclave door. For autoclaving the TSA, I chose the media and then I hit the start. It took around 45-50 minutes to autoclave TSA. When autoclave finished, I took out my flasks and placed them into a water bath at 60 ÂșC for cooling down about 30 minutes. After that, I set up the biological safety cabinet to pure the solution into petri plates. At the end I placed my plates into incubator to use them later.

No comments:

Post a Comment